HOW TO TEST YOUR DRUGS USING FENTANYL TEST STRIPS
Why should I test my drugs for fentanyl?
• Fentanyl is a powerful opioid that increases risk of overdose.
• Fentanyl is commonly found in heroin. It is also present in cocaine, crack, methamphetamine, ketamine and pills from nonmedical sources.
• Fentanyl cannot be detected by sight, taste, smell or touch.
• Knowing if the drugs you plan to use contain fentanyl can lower your risk of overdose.
What are fentanyl test strips?
• Test strips can tell you if your drugs contain fentanyl but not how much fentanyl there is or how strong it is.
• Test strips can prevent overdose if used correctly and with other risk reduction practices.
How can I test my drugs for fentanyl?
There are three ways to test your drugs for fentanyl. Choose the option that works best for you.
Step 1: Choose your option.
- Dissolve all the drugs you plan to use in water by following the instructions in Step 2.
- This is the most accurate way to test your drugs since fentanyl is not always mixed evenly throughout. If you cannot test your drugs this way, try Options 2 or 3.
- After testing your drugs this way, you can drink them, snort them using a clean nasal spray device or wait until the water evaporates to use them.
• Finely crush your drugs on a clean surface.
• Put the crushed drugs in a small, plastic bag and shake the bag to mix them.
• Empty the bag and put your drugs to the side. A small amount of drug residue should be left in the bag.
• Add water to the bag by following the instructions in Step 2.
• Put 10 milligrams (mg) of your drugs (enough to cover Abraham Lincoln’s hair on a penny) in a clean, dry container.
• If you cannot test 10 mg of your drugs, put at least a few grains in a clean, dry container.
• Add water to the container by following the instructions in Step 2.
Step 2: Add water.
- Add water to your drugs and mix them up.
- For meth, MDMA and ecstasy, use 1 teaspoon of water for every 10 mg of crystal or powder you are testing.
- For all other drugs, use a half teaspoon of water.
Step 3: Use the test strip.
• Place the test strip with the wavy side down in the water. Let the strip absorb the water for 15 seconds.
• Take the strip out of the water and place it on a flat surface for two minutes.
• Read the results (see “What do the test results mean?”).
Tips for testing your drugs:
• Do not use test strips more than once.
• Finelycrushpills and tablets, add water to the powder and mix thoroughly. If you do not want to test the entire pill, break it in half and test a portion from the middle.